Monday, 9 May 2016

Winners Of TV BAFTAs Hit Out At Government

Stars of British TV have attacked Government proposals to change the BBC and Channel 4 on the biggest night in their calendar - the BAFTA TV awards.
Mark Rylance, who won the best actor BAFTA for Wolf Hall, issued a warning to any government that comes between a British audience and their favourite TV programmes.
Peter Kosminsky, the director of Wolf Hall, which also won best drama, used his acceptance speech to accuse ministers of trying to "eviscerate" the BBC and Channel 4.
Their comments came ahead of the release of a white paper by Culture Secretary John Whittingdale on the future of the corporation.

There have been reports that the Government wants to ban popular BBC programmes like Strictly Come Dancing being scheduled against other big shows on rival channels like ITV.

Some also fear the proposals in the white paper could lead to widespread cuts at the BBC if they become law and that Channel 4 could be sold off.
Kosminsky told the audience at London's Royal Festival Hall: "In many ways our broadcasters, the BBC and Channel 4, which they're also attempting to eviscerate, are the envy of the world and we should stand up and fight for it.
"This is really scary stuff folks - not something I thought I'd see in my lifetime in this country.
"It's not their BBC. It's your BBC. There will be no more Wolf Hall, no more groundbreaking Dispatches."
Rylance said: "The incredible variety of popular culture in this country, it's really blown my mind tonight. I think woe to any government or any corporation that tries to come between that."
Afterwards, Rylance - who won a best supporting actor Oscar last year for Bridge of Spies - told Sky News: "I learned to act thanks to the BBC.
"The Academy Award I won this year, this (BAFTA TV) award, I have the BBC to thank for that so, obviously, if Peter Kosminsky is concerned, then I'm concerned.
"To attack, in any way, the industry of television in this country, is to attack actors in all mediums. Thinking of my friends Gary Oldman,.. Ken Branagh, I think I saw all of them on television first of all...
"If you are going to improve this industry, you should listen to the people who know a lot about it, and I think Peter Kosminsky knows a lot about it."
When Craig Revel Horwood, a judge on best entertainment programme winner Strictly Come Dancing, was asked about the Government proposal, he said: "If they are in charge of anything entertainment-wise it would be a complete disaster.
"We don't want them in charge of any decisions, creatively."
Another of the winners who expressed fears about the proposed changes was Have I Got News For You's Ian Hislop, who won for best comedy.
He said: "It's one of the reasons I made a fuss about the Leveson proposals. If you get the state regulating the press, then the press can no longer regulate the state and the same is true about broadcasting.
"We have all had a lot of fun with John Whittingdale and suddenly he's proposing something absolutely extraordinary, that the state appoints the editorial board of the national broadcaster, it's ludicrous."
Other big winners on the night were This Is England '90 which won the gong for best mini-series and best supporting actress BAFTA as a result of the performance of Chanel Cresswell.
Suranne Jones won best actress for Doctor Foster and Peter Kay was named winner of the male performance in a comedy for Peter Kay's Car Share, which also picked up the BAFTA for best scripted comedy.
Sky Sports also picked up a BAFTA TV award for its coverage of the Ashes.
Other award winners included Poldark, which picked up the audience award, and Lenny Henry, who won a special award.
The full list of winners was: 
:: Leading Actor: Mark Rylance, Wolf Hall
:: Leading Actress: Suranne Jones, Doctor Foster

:: Supporting Actor: Tom Courtenay, Unforgotten
Stars On Red Carpet For TV BAFTAs
:: Supporting Actress:Chanel Cresswell, This Is England '90
:: Entertainment Performance: Leigh Francis, Celebrity Juice
:: Female performance in a comedy programme: Michaela Coel, Chewing Gum
:: Male performance in a comedy: Peter Kay, Peter Kay's Car Share
:: Single Drama: Don't Take My Baby
:: Mini-series: This Is England '90
:: Drama series: Wolf Hall
:: Soap and continuing drama: EastEnders
:: International: Transparent
:: Factual Series: The Murder Detectives
:: Specialist Factual: Britain's Forgotten Slave Owners
:: Single Documentary: My Son The Jihadi
:: Features: The Great British Bake Off
:: Reality and Constructed Factual: First Dates
:: Current Affairs: Outbreak: The Truth About Ebola (This World)
:: News Coverage: Channel 4 News: Paris Massacre
:: Sport: The Ashes
:: Live Event: Big Blue Live
:: Entertainment Programme: Strictly Come Dancing
:: Comedy and Comedy Entertainment Programme: Have I Got News For You
:: Scripted comedy: Peter Kay's Car Share
:: Radio Times Audience Award (voted for by members of the public): Poldark
:: Special Award in honour of Alan Clarke: Lenny Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment